It’s funny how time changes your perspective on things. At one time I used to flounce about wearing a blouse and crying to The Smiths of an evening. And then came the Stone Roses, who kickstarted a dream I clung to a for a decade or more: of becoming a Respected Musical Artist.
I’d never sell out, but would make a series of quietly great records that would attract a small but determined cult following. And maybe some liberated chicks along the way. I’d have a great haircut and perform legendary gigs.
Here I am now, a bit paunchy, hairline in full-on retreat and our last 3 gigs have been a wedding and two birthdays. Luckily, my view of the world is considerably more relaxed than once ’twas
So we’ve moved in the space of a short year from doing serious sets of our own stuff, to being a party band. And I’m starting to see something of a future in it. Rather than staying at home on a Saturday night and flatulently dozing through the X-Factor, or lumping our gear to a dingy hole to play a set to people who don’t know or care anything about us, we’re having fun.
We get in our cars, turn up at a party, play a load of tunes to people who actually dance, have a bit of buffet food at the half-time interval, play some more (usually more dancing after more beer) and then get given a few bob each for our troubles. There are worse things to do.
And if you’re looking for a little bit of live entertainment for some kind of event… check us out.
- Town Called Malice – The Jam
- Fun, Fun, Fun – The Beach Boys
- Lola – The Kinks
- Step On – The Happy Mondays
- Last Nite – The Strokes
- Substitute – The Who
- Be Bop A Lula – Gene Vincent
- All Your Love – John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers
- Saw Her Standing There – The Beatles
- Black Dog – Led Zeppelin
- Seven Nation Army – The White Stripes
- Come Together – The Beatles
- Tin Soldier – The Small Faces
- Can’t Explain – The Who
- Baby Please Don’t Go – Them
- Green Onions – Booker T and the MGs
- Waterfall – The Stone Roses
- Where Have All The Good Times Gone – The Kinks
- Subterranean Homesick Blues – Bob Dylan
- Queen Bitch – David Bowie
- All Or Nothing – The Small Faces
- Honky Tonk Woman – The Rolling Stones
- Season of the Witch – Donovan
- Steady as she Goes – The Raconteurs
- Hey Bulldog – The Beatles